Requests for tuition can take many forms. Those which do not fall in my area of expertise I try to refer: help for example with Maths and Sciences beyond GCSE. Over the years specialist teachers and other professionals have left me their contact details, and I am pleased to match demand to supply where I can. Other requests I try to meet myself. It can be a challenge and quite time-consuming but brings variety to the working week. Looking back over 2012 non- regular assignments have included:
* Proof reading and editing a thesis for an MEng degree
* Reading and advising on essays towards a degree in Tourism, Leisure and Hospitality
* Reading and critiquing essays in Comparative Literature and History of Art
* Providing specialised arithmetic practice for Nursing
* Formatting and editing cv
* Advising on essay-writing and discussing the texts for A -Level English Literature
It is the last on this list that has occupied some of my leisure reading this Chrstmas with A Turn of the Screw (Henry James) and The Woman in Black (Susan Hill) the focus or foci for a student assignment on ghost stories in the New Year.